You are here

Brotherhood postpones planned 70th anniversary ceremony

By JT - Apr 30,2015 - Last updated at Apr 30,2015

AMMAN — The unlicensed Muslim Brotherhood group decided on Wednesday to postpone a ceremony it was planning to hold on Friday to mark its 70th anniversary.

In a statement, the movement accused the government of turning public opinion against it, adding that its decision was in response to "righteous" groups and individuals, who called for countering attempts by "those who mean harm to the homeland and to the group".

The Brotherhood said it reserves "the constitutional and legal right" to hold this ceremony another time, but did not specify a new date for the event.

Earlier on Wednesday, Amman's Governor Khaled Abu Zeid handed over his decision to the group members, rejecting a petition to hold the ceremony, according to the Jordan News Agency, Petra.  

The group was planning to organise it in Tabarbour, Petra said.

Abu Zeid said those who called for the rally had submitted a request in this regard, under the name of another society, which is licensed under the law. 

The governor informed those who lodged the request to abide by the law, pointing out that violators will be held accountable. 

The Interior Ministry had earlier said that its response to the planned celebration by the group would be in line with the law.

The group comprises leaders and members of the Islamist group who rejected a new leadership that obtained a new licence as a society that severed its ties with the Egypt-based international Muslim Brotherhood organisation.

The Muslim Brotherhood was licensed in 1946 as a charity affiliated with the mother group in Egypt and relicensed in 1953 as an Islamic society, which kept ties with the international headquarters of the mother group.

up
11 users have voted, including you.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.