You are here

Schoolgirl succumbs to stampede injuries

By Rana Husseini - Dec 09,2012 - Last updated at Dec 09,2012

AMMAN — A 14-year-old girl who was injured during a stampede in her school on Thursday, died on Sunday, an official source said.

The girl, who was not identified by officials, was in her classroom at a government high school in the capital’s Hashemi Shamali neighbourhood when the students rushed out following an electric short circuit, a senior police official told The Jordan Times.

“The girl fell on the floor and fainted, while her panicked classmates rushed out and trampled on her,” the official said, adding that she was rushed to a nearby hospital and admitted to the intensive care unit in critical condition.

On Sunday, the source added, the child passed away as a result of the wounds she sustained during the stampede.

The education ministry spokesperson was unavailable to comment on the incident.

Also on Sunday, an 80-year-old woman died of carbon monoxide inhalation following a fire at her home in the Amir Hassan neighbourhood in Amman, a Civil Defence Department (CDD) official said.

A kerosene heater caused the fire that engulfed one room, the CDD official told The Jordan Times.

The woman was in another room, but she suffocated after inhaling the smoke, the official added.

A police official said the victim’s body was transferred to the National Institute of Forensic Medicine for an autopsy.

The CDD official urged citizens to exercise caution when using gas and kerosene heaters by opening windows occasionally and to avoid sleeping with a heater in their rooms.
Insufficient air circulation in the room, leaving gas and kerosene heaters on overnight and filling heaters with kerosene while they are lit are some of the major causes of heater accidents, in addition to failure to follow proper safety procedures, according to the CDD official.

7 users have voted.



Saturday 28 November 2015


Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.