You are here

Two infants die in heater fire

By Rana Husseini - Jan 22,2013 - Last updated at Jan 22,2013

AMMAN — Two infants were burned to death in a gas heater accident at their Sweileh home on Tuesday morning, official sources said.

The two babies, aged below two years, died when fire engulfed a room in their four-storey building located in the capital’s Kamaliyeh neighbourhood, a Civil Defence Department (CDD) official said.

“CDD firefighters managed to extinguish the fire in the room, but unfortunately the flames had spread quickly and killed the two infants,” the CDD official told The Jordan Times.

A woman, believed to be a neighbour who was trying to help, was also treated for carbon monoxide inhalation and was listed in fair condition, the CDD official added.

An initial investigation indicated that “someone had left clothes to dry very close to the gas heater, which caused a fire that spread to the room where the two children were”, according to the CDD official.

Their mother was in the kitchen when the incident occurred and “it seems she was unable to enter the room because of the flames,” he added.

This is the second heater accident to cause fatalities in less than a week in the Kingdom.

On January 19, a pregnant woman and her son died in an electric heater accident at their home in Zarqa.

up
0 users have voted.

Opinion

Editorial

Monday 29 June 2015

Poll

Do you think that markets in Ramadan are under control?

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.