You are here

19 people arrested over Saudi attacks including Medina — ministry

By AFP - Jul 09,2016 - Last updated at Jul 09,2016

Saudi Crown Prince and Interior Minister Mohammed Bin Nayef (left) visits a wounded man who was injured after a suicide bomber detonated a device near the security headquarters of the Prophet's Mosque, in Medina, Saudi Arabia, on Tuesday (Reuters photo)

RIYADH — Nineteen people, including 12 Pakistani nationals, have been arrested in Saudi Arabia following suicide attacks on Monday, including one near Islam's second-holiest site in the city of Medina, the kingdom's interior ministry said on Thursday.

Seven people are believed to have been killed and two wounded in three separate attacks — in Medina, at a Shiite mosque in Qatif, and in western Jeddah, the economic capital, not far from the US consulate.

A 26-year-old Saudi man, Naer Moslem Hammad Al Balawi, who had a "history of drug use" had been identified as the perpetrator of the Medina attack, the ministry said in a statement published by the official SPA news agency.

The Qatif attack, it added, was carried out by three "terrorists", including one man named as Abderrahman Saleh Mohammed Al Amr, 23, who it said was known to the security services for taking part in protests.

The Jeddah attacker was a Pakistani man identified as Abdullah Qalzar Khan, a driver who had been living in the city for 12 years, the ministry said earlier.

Four people were killed in the Medina explosion near the Prophet's Mosque, which came as Muslims prepared for this week's Eid Al Fitr festival marking the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan.

The body parts of three people were found after another suicide bombing in the Shiite-populated Gulf city of Qatif, the ministry said earlier.

Two police officers were wounded the Jeddah attack.

The US embassy in Riyadh reported no casualties among consulate staff during the attack, which coincided with the US July 4 Independence Day holiday.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Nayef, the interior minister, said while visiting the wounded policemen in Jeddah that the attacks would "only increase our solidarity and make us stronger”.

No group has claimed responsibility for Monday's attacks so far.

However, a series of bombings and shootings claimed by the Daesh terror group in Saudi Arabia since late 2014 has targeted minority Shiites as well as the security forces, killing dozens.

Most attacks have taken place in Eastern Province, home to the majority of the country's Shiites.

Daesh leader Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi has called for attacks against Saudi Arabia, which is taking part in the US-led coalition bombing the extremists in Syria and Iraq.

 

The group also considers Shiites to be heretics. 

up
145 users have voted.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
2 + 3 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.