You are here
Egypt military orders demonstrators away from palace
By Reuters - Dec 06,2012 - Last updated at Dec 06,2012
CAIRO –– Egypt's Republican Guard, which deployed around the presidential palace on Thursday, said demonstrators must evacuate the area by 3:00 pm. (1300 GMT), the presidency said in a statement.
Opponents of President Mohamed Morsi and his Islamist supporters clashed on Wednesday night and Thursday morning during rival demonstrations sparked by Morsi's decision last month to expand his powers.
A Reuters witness said some of the hundreds of Morsi backers who had camped overnight around the palace perimeter had started leaving before the deadline.
In its statement, the Republican Guard said that following "unfortunate events" around the palace it was "banning the gathering of any demonstrations in the vicinity of establishments belonging to the president of the republic".
Several tanks and armoured personnel carriers had been placed around the palace on Thursday morning and barbed wire barricades erected across a major road leading to the palace to separate the two sides. Other barriers had also been erected.
Opponents of Morsi on the spot had earlier said that more protesters would arrive in the afternoon. There was a brief spate of stone throwing mid-morning on Thursday but the scene had otherwise been calm for hours.
Egypt’s Republican Guard restored order around the presidential palace on Thursday after fierce clashes killed seven people, but passions ran high in a contest over the country’s future.
Bahraini police headed off a protest Wednesday against the Gulf kingdom’s Sunni rulers that Shiite-led opposition activists called for near the US embassy in defiance of a ban.
Supporters and opponents of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi have called for protests on Wednesday outside the presidential palace, raising fears of a potential showdown as Egypt's crisis deepens.
Oct 05, 2015
Oct 05, 2015
Oct 06, 2015
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.