You are here

At least 12 killed in bomb attack on Afghan election rally

Violence related to parliamentary vote has killed or wounded hundreds of people in recent months

By AFP - Oct 13,2018 - Last updated at Oct 13,2018

In this photo taken on Wednesday, an Afghan employee of the Independent Election Commission charges power bank devices. Voters will wrestle with a newspaper-sized ballot on October 20, racing to find their candidate as quickly as possible under the threat of a militant attack (AFP photo)

KUNDUZ, Afghanistan — A motorcycle carrying explosives blew up among supporters of an Afghan election candidate on Saturday, killing at least 12 people, officials said, in the latest attack on a political rally.

Violence related to the parliamentary vote has killed or wounded hundreds of people in recent months and more militant attacks are expected ahead of Afghanistan’s October 20 poll.

Another 32 people were wounded in the explosion in the northeastern province of Takhar where parliamentary candidate Nazifa Yousefibek had been campaigning, Provincial Governor spokesman Mohammad Jawad Hejri told AFP

Ambulances have been sent to the remote district of Rustaq, but officials also are seeking to airlift the wounded to hospitals, Hejri added

Provincial police spokesman Khalil Assir put the death toll slightly higher at 13. Yousefibek was not hurt in the blast. 

“The bomb had been placed on a motorcycle and detonated among the supporters of a female candidate in Rustaq district,” Assir told AFP.

Khan Jan, who told AFP he saw the explosion, said there had been a powerful blast and “a lot of people” had been killed.

More than 2,500 candidates are contesting the long-delayed legislative elections. 

At least nine candidates have died so far, most of them in targeted killings, according to the independent election commission. 

A candidate was among eight people killed in a suicide attack in the southern province of Helmand — a Taliban stronghold — on October 9. No group has claimed responsibility. 

That incident came a day after the Taliban warned candidates to pull out of the “bogus” election, describing it as a “malicious American conspiracy”.

The group vowed to attack the ballot and those involved in it.

An attack on a rally in the eastern province of Nangarhar on October 2 killed 13 people and wounded more than 40. Daesh claimed the attack, which the candidate survived.

Violence had been expected to escalate ahead of the poll.

Preparations for the ballot, which is a test run for next year’s presidential vote, have been in turmoil for months and there has been debate about whether the vote should go ahead

Bureaucratic inefficiency, allegations of industrial-scale fraud and an eleventh-hour pledge for biometric verification of voters threaten to derail the process, which is three years late.

Some 54,000 members of Afghanistan’s beleaguered security forces will be responsible for protecting more than 5,000 polling centres on election day.

But there are concerns over how they will manage as the Taliban and the Daesh group step up attacks across the country.

up
45 users have voted.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
1 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.