You are here

Egyptian air force continues Sinai anti-terror operation — military

Army says push also covers parts of Nile Delta, Western Desert

By Thomson Reuters Foundation - Feb 10,2018 - Last updated at Feb 10,2018

Egyptian army's armoured vehicles are seen on a highway to North Sinai during a launch of a major assault against militants, in Ismailia, Egypt, in this undated handout photo made available by the ministry of defence, on Friday (Reuters photo)

CAIRO — Egypt's air force pounded militant targets in northern and central Sinai early on Saturday, the military said, the second day of an assault to try and crush an insurgency that has killed hundreds of people since 2013.

President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi, who is seeking reelection in March, ordered the armed forces in November to defeat militants within three months after an attack on a mosque that killed more than 300 people.

Islamist insurgents have been targeting security forces since 2013 when the army led by Sisi, then the army chief, ousted president Mohamed Morsi, of the Muslim Brotherhood, following mass protests against his rule. 

The military said its warplanes struck "terrorist concentrations and hideouts" in northern and central Sinai through the night and into the early hours of Saturday, targeting weapons warehouses and logistics support areas.

On the ground, special forces, working with police, conducted raids inside cities in Sinai to seize militants, military spokesman Colonel Tamer Al Rifai said.

Border guards and naval forces were securing the Suez Canal to make sure navigation through the international waterway was not affecwted, the statement said.

The statement gave no details on any casualties in the operation or any figures on the number of people arrested, but said the assault would continue.

"The armed forces and the police assert their determination to uproot terrorism and to achieve peace and stability," Rifai said, according to the statement.

Apart from Sinai, the Egyptian army said the operation would also cover parts of the Nile Delta and the Western Desert, where other militants have waged attacks, some believed to be staged out of neighbouring Libya.

State television said on Friday that all schools in North Sinai had been ordered shut from Saturday until further notice.

The Suez Canal Authority chairman said the waterway was operating normally. 

up
47 users have voted.

Comments

HERE WE GO, EVERY COUNTRY IN THAT REGION IS ON THE MOVE FOR WAR AND MORE WARS. DOES THIS NOT LOOK LIKE A COUNTY ON THE MOVE FOR WAR. WHY AND WHY MUST IT BE THIS WAY. MEANWHILE JORDAN BY DEFAULT OF BEING AT A TOUGH GEOGRAPHICAL POSITION IS AT THIS POINT TRYING TO INVESTIGATE WHAT WAR MACHINE DEBRIS FELL INSIDE ITS BOARDER. THE
SAID PARTS OF WAR MACHINE COULD HAVE BEEN A TRAGIC ERROR IF IT WAS A LIFE WAR MACHINE WHICH SHOULD REMIND US ALL THAT NO WHERE IS SAFE IN THAT REGION.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
2 + 5 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.