You are here

UN blames Iraq pro-gov’t militia for kidnappings, beheadings

By AFP - Jul 05,2016 - Last updated at Jul 05,2016

Iraqi government forces and elite counterterrorism service patrol from the edge of Shuhada neighbourhood, southern Fallujah, during an operation to regain control of the area from the Daesh terror group on June 10 (AFP photo)

Geneva — A Shiite militia that fought alongside Iraqi forces against the Daesh terror group may have kidnapped 900 civilians and executed at least 50, some by beheadings and torture, the UN said Tuesday.

The initial phase of Iraq’s vast offensive to retake the city of Fallujah from Daesh was supported by several Shiite militia, which raised fears of reprisals against the area’s Sunni Muslim population. 

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights HH Prince Zeid said there was strong evidence that one group, Ketaeb Hizbollah, perpetrated atrocities after telling civilians that they were there to help.

“This appears to be the worst — but far from the first — such incident involving unofficial militias fighting alongside government forces,” Prince Zeid said in statement. 

He warned that with Iraq preparing another offensive against Daesh in their northern bastion Mosul, more Sunni civilians could face horrific violence as retribution for the crimes of Daesh. 

 

900 missing or killed 

 

Ketaeb Hizbollah fighters approached the village of Saqlawiyah near Fallujah — which lies only 50 kilometres west of Baghdad — on June 1, Prince Zeid’s office said in a statement, citing witness testimony. 

Some 8,000 civilians spotted the fighters as they were leaving Saqlawiyah amid the assault on Daesh.

The militia members “hailed them with loudspeakers, saying the villagers had nothing to fear from them”, according to the rights office. 

“Witnesses said that hidden behind the Iraqi flags they saw the flags of a militia called Ketaeb Hizbollah,” the UN statement added.

Women and children were sent to a displaced persons camp while men and teenage boys were taken to a series of locations. 

According to witnesses, those who asked for water “were dragged outside and shot, strangled, or severely beaten”, the UN said.

The abducted males were separated on June 5, with 605 men and boys taken to the displaced persons camp. 

The whereabouts of a second group, with an estimated 900 people, is “unknown”, according to Prince Zeid. 

The rights chief said locals made a list of 643 missing men and boys and “49 others believed to have been summarily executed or tortured to death while in the initial custody of Ketaeb Hizbollah”.

Locals said 200 additional abductees have not been accounted for. 

Women in the displaced persons camp at Amriyat Al Fallujah told AFP last month that their sons, husbands and nephews were missing. 

Zeid spokesman Rupert Colville said Iraq’s government had launched an investigation but had no details on its progress. 

 

“People who escape from [Daesh] should be treated with sympathy and respect, not tortured and killed simply on the basis of their gender and where they had the misfortune to be living when [Daesh] arrived,” Prince Zeid said in the statement.

up
168 users have voted.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
5 + 7 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Opinion

Newsletter

Get top stories and blog posts emailed to you each day.